We have a national obsession- pumpkin. I am glad to know that I am not alone in my adoration (are you one of us?).
Confession- I have been knowing to buy $50 worth of this orange-gold when Sam’s gets its holiday stock. May as well stock up for the entire year!
However, this dish prevails seasons and sweaty summers. I truly can eat it every. single. day. Depending on your choices of ingredients (whole eggs vs. egg whites and toppings), this dish will serve 3 or 4.
I tend to mix this recipe ahead of time in 3 separate glass containers (like these) so that each one can be cooked fresh in the morning. For those of you who are not leftover snobs like I am, cooking this in one batch will make for an easy morning meal, reheated or cold. You may also assemble this dish the night before and bake in the morning.
I’ll often top with a squirt of sugar-free syrup but some fresh or frozen blueberries microwaved until they burst will make a nifty syrup substitute.
Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal Protein Bake
Oats spiked with pumpkin and protein!Author: BrandiceRecipe type: BreakfastServes: 3Ingredients
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1 cup water
- 1½ cup liquid egg whites or 6 whole eggs, beaten
- 1, 14oz can of pureed pumpkin
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (I use triple that!)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar (optional, I skip it)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray an 8″x8″ glass baking dish with cooking spray.
- Mix all of the listed ingredients together thoroughly.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish.
- Bake uncovered for 45 minutes. You may prefer more or less time based on your texture preferences.
- Allow to cool slightly and serve with chopped nuts and syrup.
Notes: If I am allowing the mixture to sit overnight (or for several days), I will add a squeeze of lemon juice as the acid helps to break down the oats. When doing individual servings I often microwave to cook for ease. 6 minutes for a fluffy cakey end result and up to 9 minutes if you like it chewy, like I do.
⅓rd recipe: Calories: 290 Fat: 2 Carbohydrates: 61 Sodium: 52 Fiber: 6 Protein: 8
Brandice Lardner is a Certified Personal Trainer, Nutrition Coach, Author, Amazon #1 Best Selling Author, and Jesus Girl whose mission in life is to help women ditch the diet mentality and find peace with food and their bodies so that they are better equipped to do the great things God has called them to do.